Just when you thought Trump couldn’t get any more petty–especially when thousands of citizens are dying every day from a largely preventable virus and millions are out of work–we learned yesterday that Trump wasn’t invited to throw out the first pitch at the August 15th Yankee game like he claimed. Here’s what happened:
- Years ago the president of the Yankees, Randy Levine, told Trump he could throw out the first pitch at a ballgame anytime he liked. Trump never took him up on the offer because he knew he couldn’t throw a baseball without looking like a weakling and a loser.
- Trump learned that Doctor Fauci was throwing out the first pitch of the year at Yankee Stadium.
- Trump had his aides find a place in his schedule where he could attend a Yankee game and throw out the first pitch.
- An hour before Fauci’s debut at Yankee Stadium, Trump announced that he, too, would be throwing out a first pitch, in mid-August.
- The announcement caught the Yankees by surprise. They hadn’t asked him.
- Trump then cancelled his first pitch event citing pressing issues with China and coronavirus.
In other words, Trump was jealous of the attention Fauci was receiving from the baseball world, manufactured an event and a news story to take away attention from Fauci, and then pretended he was too busy to fulfill the appearance that he, himself, just manufactured.
Has anyone in public life ever been as endlessly insecure, jealous, resentful, dishonest and self absorbed as Donald Trump? No.
We also learned that the heartless GOP in the Senate, led by Grim Reaper McConnell, proposed cutting back on weekly jobless aid by a whopping $400, from $600 to $200. At the same time, their coronavirus relief bill comes with a laundry list of big-ticket military expenses like $635 million for the F-35A fighter. As Senator Schumer said, “It’s a non-starter.” There’s no limit to the cravenness of Senate Republicans, whose priorities make clear that they’re owned by wealthy corporate interests and don’t give a damn about the plight of the average American. In fact, they don’t even seem to grasp what an enormous financial catastrophe is unfolding at this very moment. ONE THIRD of American households missed their housing payments in July. Millions now face eviction. Where will they all go? How will they eat? Donald Trump and Senate Republicans don’t give a shit.
Corrupt Attorney General William Barr is scheduled to testify before the House Judiciary Committee this morning and his opening statement, released to the public last night, shows that he is combative and remorseless, aiming to paint the Mueller investigation as illegitimate. It will be up to Democrats to hold his feet to the fire. Let’s hope they’re up to the task. When the top law enforcement officer in the land is a lying, tyrannical rogue who puts partisan politics above the Constitution, we’re all in deep peril.
Don’t forget that there will be a phone bank for Antonio Delgado and Karen Smythe tonight at 6pm. You can find info here:
The blog banner will now be counting down the days to the election. Keep resisting Trump and keep working to “vote his ass out of office.”