Voting November 7, 2017
by Absentee Ballot
If you will be out of the county or unable to vote in person this upcoming November 7th, apply for an absentee ballot TODAY!!! Once the 2017 ballot is finalized by at the Dutchess County Board of Elections (DCBOE), your absentee ballot will be mailed to you in October.
How do I request or pick up an absentee ballot?
- Download the form from the DCBOE website: Absentee Ballot Form or
- Call the DCBOE at 845-486-2473 and they will mail you the form or
- Pick up a ballot at the DCBOE office between 9 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at 47 Cannon Street, Poughkeepsie.
How late can I request an absentee ballot?
If by mail to the DCBOE, your application request must be postmarked no later than October 31st or delivered in person no later than the day before the election.
You cannot request an absentee ballot by fax or online!
How do I complete the ballot?
Your ballot arrives with two envelopes. You must use these envelopes. After completing your ballot, seal it in the inner envelope to maintain secrecy. Then seal that envelope in the outer envelope.
IMPORTANT! you must sign and date the oath on the outer envelope and the ballot must be enclosed in the SEALED outer envelope. Otherwise, your ballot will not be counted.
What is the deadline for submitting my absentee ballot?
If mailed, the envelope must be postmarked no later than November 6, 2017, the day before election day. If personally delivered, it must be received by the Board of Elections no later than the close of polls at 9:00 p.m. on Election Day, November 7, 2017.
What are the common acceptable reasons (qualifications) to vote by absentee ballot?
- Absent from your county on Election Day.
- Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability; or because you are the primary caregiver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled.
- A patient or inmate in a Veterans’ Administration Hospital.